Monday, December 18, 2006

Africain Chronicles II - Entering the Med 09-03-06


Well, there is not allot to report this time around, so anyone looking for a shorter version of the African Chronicles may celebrate:) Today is Sunday 8:43pm my time, your time is 12:43pm. Every other day we advance our clocks one hour, so I am guessing we will advance 3 more times before arriving in Israel.


Today we entered the Mediterranean. I was on deck power washing the starboard aft when the boson came up to me and asked if I wanted to steer the ship. Of course I said yes. I went up after taking a quick shower (they hate dirty people up there LOL) I relieved the guy on watch and I steered us from the Atlantic into the Med. I got a good look at part of the Atlas mountain range. Actually I saw one huge mountain rising up from the surf but, that was part of the range. It was on the Morocco side. The visibility was a heavy haze even though this was in the early evening.


As we entered we could see Spain on the left and Morocco on the right but as we got further in Spain became impossible to see. So unfortunately I did not see the Rock of Gibraltar as everyone was hoping to see. I did see several dolphins again, this time in the Med. They were pretty small and at first I thought they were some type of fish I hadn't seen before but, then they started jumping high out of the water and we all knew they were dolphins. They may have been babies, or they just grow smaller in the Med. The drama in the Steward department continues. On Deck we call it... As The Stomach Turns... I will fill you in later on that though. This email will sit in the system for a while and will be read I am sure by some nosy person in the dept. So I will send that when I know the send time will be quick.


We are expected to hit Israel on the 8th. We will not get any shore time while there. The good news I suppose is that we are not going to Haifa's port. We will be more south and farther from Lebanon, I can't remember the name of the port off hand but, I am sure I couldn't spell it if I did :) We are going in fast, unloading fast and leaving fast. Actually I wish we would have a little port time, I am a little divided whether or not I can say I've been to Israel when all I see is a dock LOL. Anyway, once the Bagels are delivered its off to the Suez, Oman, Kenya and Tanzania with a refuel stop in Durban, South Africa. I hope everyone is doing well, write me if you feel like it.


Jesse


This episode of the African Chronicles Part II has been brought to you by TIDE, Tide, when it's in we can go. Tide, a brackish freshness for the whole family.

No comments: