Monday, January 15, 2007

Jesse James 09-10-06 African Chronicles II - Ashdod, Israel




No more bombs!

Well we arrived in the Israel port of Ashdod two Days ago. We were required to anchor for over 24 hours before we were allowed to dock and discharge their cargo. The captain requested a launch so we could go ashore but was refused. I guess if you’re delivering 62 containers full of 2000 lbs bombs, they don't want you coming ashore. So we only got a look at Ashdod from the ship. It looked like a nice city, maybe the size of Portland or a little smaller. We eventually made it to the dock and I did step foot onto the dock so, I did make it to the Holy Land after all....or is that holey land?

They discharged the cargo beginning at 11:30 pm, and at 5am we were underway again. We are now at anchor at Port Said (sigh-eeed) in Egypt. In a few minutes we will move to a buoy and tie up to it. At 01:00 we will join the convoy to move through the Suez Cannel. I won't be getting any sleep for about 24 hours; I will be on the gangway watch as we go though. With me on the gangway will be Charlie Brown.... an Egyptian who is allowed to ride with us and tries to sell his nick knacks and perfume etc... Also we will be carrying a bunch of boat men, which will handle lines if a sand storm kicks up. It should be an interesting night. I will let you all know how it went.


Well I better get out there, got to raise the anchor and move to the buoy now.

Miss ya all,
Jesse

No comments: