Monday, January 15, 2007

09-12-06 African Chronicles II - Suez Cannel - Port Said - Red Sea







We are currently in the Red Sea sailing now towards Oman, another port where we will not be able to go ashore. We have only one boat to deliver there so it’s also in and out like Israel.
By the way, the Sea here is blue, just like everywhere else so far. It's not red at all. I'm sure that question was going to come my way eventually LOL. We are currently in the Red Sea sailing now towards Oman, another port where we will not be able to go ashore. We have only one boat to deliver there so it’s also in and out like Israel.

By the way, the Sea here is blue, just like everywhere else so far. It's not red at all. I'm sure that question was going to come my way eventually LOL.

Our passage through the cannel was interesting. We began at Port Said. The city is very close to the water so we could look down all the side streets the ship passed by. I saw a couple of Mosques that looked very impressive with tall spires and domes. (Just like the ones you've seen blown up on TV) They were defiantly the best architecture in the area. I would have liked to have the chance to go in one.

We tied up to the Buoy, which was in the middle of town. I wanted to take some pictures, but we were boarded by the Egyptian Canal police who began confiscating cameras. Apparently you could buy the cameras back from them for as little as $10 but I decided not to risk it.

While tied up, I was stationed at the entrance to the house near the gangway to keep everyone not in the crew out. That job was not very fun. Besides the Police, we also had the Egyptian quarantine doctors, 6 boat men, an Electrician (who is required to ride along but does nothing other than sell watches from his cabin), and Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown Jr. and Charlie Browns son who set up the Egyptian nick knack store on the gangway passage area. It was a mad house LOL.

Eventually we did get underway, around 1 am. There was not much to see as we passed through the Suez, other than allot of sand. We did pass by some square structures that sat right next to the water. I asked Charlie Brown what they were and he said they were parts of the floating bridge that the Egyptians used in the war against Israel in the 70's. It was that war that won Egypt the other bank of the cannel which they still own and control today. Apparently they took that side in a blitz during the Yom Kippor war.

Charlie and his boys had a pretty nice set up going. You could buy anything from rugs, statutes, jewelry boxes, hookahs to perfume. I am sure they made a good deal of money off of the crew before they disembarked at the other end of the cannel. So even though I didn't get to set foot in Egypt, I felt like I got a good experience of Egypt none the less.

All the Egyptians I met seemed to be very nice people with good humor. But of course like everywhere else in Africa I've been so far, they all want a bribe for official business. The Captain must have special bribe training for these runs LOL....

The weather right now in the Red Sea is HOT!!!!! Texas Hot! Today I was painting the booms with a 40-foot extension pole, having to stare towards the sun. If the bright light in my eyes wasn't enough I had sweat pouring in my eyes the whole time. The weather was clear but, to me everything was hazy. It's nice to have that job done with!

Every one is getting more and more excited about Kenya. I now have the boson trying to set me up with some gal there named Emma. He is beginning to scare me a little LOL. Don't worry mom, I won't leave any African children of mine there....................I'll Bring them back home LOL.....

Well, I think my laundry is ready for the Dryer so I'll sign off now and let some one else use the comp.

Love and miss you all. Feel free to write.
Jesse

No comments: